Monday, June 15, 2015

The Smile By: Donna Jo Napoli

source
  • Title: The Smile
  • Author: Donna Jo Napoli
  • Publisher: Speak
  • Publication Date:  2009 (2008)
  • Pages: 272
  • Genre: Historical Fiction/ YA
  • Recommended Age(s): 13+
  • First Read: 2015
  • Source: Library
  • Rating: 4.0 / 5.0 stars
You think you know the story behind arguably the most famous painting of all time, but you don't. I certainly didn't because this book was just amazing. I read a lot of Donna Jo Napoli's historical fiction novels and I'm blown away each time, but I certainly think that this ranks among one of my ultimate favorites.

This book focuses on Monna Elizabetta, or as some might know her, Mona Lisa's childhood and early adulthood. The thing I liked most about this book is that it fully immerses you into the world of a very believable Renaissance era girl. During this time, the life of a girl is very restricted, and even more so for a daughter of a nobleman. Elizabetta attempts to challenge these conventions and live a life that she is happy with.

My favorite aspect of this book is the fact it doesn't have a "perfect" happy ending, but rather more of a bittersweet one, which I think reflects a more realistic sense of  what really could have happened during this time. It's true that it is a novel and we always expect the heroine to end up happily ever after, but I liked the fact that though Lisa was more or less happy in the end, the story did not end as if it was rehearsed. I also really liked the part that Leonardo Da Vinci, the famous painter of the Mona Lisa, played in the overall plot because he added to the story without being overbearing.

If I had any complaints about this book, I would have liked more characterization of both Cristiano and Guiliano, who I think were integral to the plot in their own ways, especially Guiliano. Further characterization would have revealed characterization of Lisa too, so that would have been nice.

Napoli has a signature style of always leaving me with the feeling of having returned from a very long, incredible journey through time and I can't wait to read more of her work!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Secret Bookshelf encourages friendly interaction between everyone so have fun but please do not be rude or offensive.

Spam and offensive comments against myself or anyone else will be deleted.

I make an effort to read and reply to every comment I receive so be sure to check back to read my replies by clicking the little "notify me" box!

Have fun and don't be shy! :)