Monday, September 28, 2015

Tutorial: DIY Bookmark

As promised, I am sharing with you guys my favorite way to DIY my bookmarks, which I have been making since I was seven or eight years old, and of course (at least I like to think anyway) my bookmarks have gotten better through the years! I've been doing this for a while, but I promise the process is quite simple!

This is the bookmark I currently have, and I will be teaching you guys to make one in the same style, out of old book pages (don't worry about the books, it's okay, I promise!)

Photo: Mariama Poquiz
I think there is nothing better than being able to make your own bookmark to put a little more of your personality into the books you are reading. After all, you are emotionally investing yourself into these books, so you might as well do this as well. And it's way cheaper than going out and buying a store bought one (unless you really want to of course!)

Materials:

  • Thin and flexible cardboard or cardboard like material (cardstock works too)
  • Old book
  • Thick magazine or cutting mat
  • Ruler
  • Xcato knife
  • Scissors
  • Foam brush
  • Pencils (I use a wooden one and a mechanical one)
  • Hole puncher
  • Mod Podge (I use the one with a glossy finish)
  • Something to cover your work surface
Photo: Mariama Poquiz

Directions:

  • For the sake of this tutorial, I'm going to call the backbone of my bookmark, cardboard, which it is, in the loosest terms. I collected this from a package I received and I thought it would make great bookmark material. Anything will work really, that's decently sturdy, yet flexible. You can use card stock and even the type of packaging they use on ponytail holders and bobby pins. That's what I used for my Eiffel Tower bookmark! So I took my current bookmark and used it as a template to trace my new bookmark. The dimensions for my bookmark are 17 cm x 6.3 cm. But you can make it as big or as small as you want. It's really up to you.
Photo: Mariama Poquiz
Photo: Mariama Poquiz
  • Cut out your template then take two book pages from an old book and trace the newly cut out cardboard onto both book pages. I find that old, yellowed book pages give me the best look I want, especially since I am looking for more of a vintage feel. The books I use for these types of projects are very old books that I took from an art closet in my school. They were rotting away, so I decided to give them new life. But if you're squeamish using old book pages, try using old dictionaries instead because there might be less of an association with killing books. Be sure to hole punch a hole in the cardboard only. We'll deal with putting holes in the book pages in a little while.
Photo: Mariama Poquiz
I like placing the template in the middle and not right on the edge of the page because I like having words throughout the entirety of  the bookmark.

Photo: Mariama Poquiz
  • Take the Mod Podge and foam brush and glue the pages onto either side of the cardboard. Now it's starting to look like a bookmark! As for the little hole where the ribbon will be threaded through, I used the tip of a mechanical pencil and carefully poked a hole in the page and found the hole I had already punched earlier and used it as a guide to punch a hole in the book page. The book pages are very delicate so be careful doing this, taking care not to tear the pages away from the hole.
Photo: Mariama Poquiz
Photo: Mariama Poquiz
  • If needed, trim the edges of the bookmark so that the pages line up with the cardboard. It is best to use an Xcato knife for this step because it is easier to trim as it gives a cleaner edge. A pair of scissors works too, but it might be a little harder to do because of the awkward angle you would have to cut with. If you do use an Xcato knife and don't have a cutting mat, you can use a very thick magazine so as to not damage your work surface. 
Photo: Mariama Poquiz
  • Now all there's left to do is the fun part: decorating! For this particular bookmark, I will use Prismacolor colored pencils, which are quite possibly my favorite art supplies because of their extremely vibrant pigmentation. Other possibilities include using watercolors, acrylic paint, Sharpies, a combination of these materials, or anything else really; your imagination is your limit! If using watercolors or acrylic paint however, be sure to prime the surface first with gesso or a similar substance so that the pages don't disintegrate as you're painting them. It's also really fun to pick out a ribbon to thread through the bookmark; think of all the choices! Thinner ribbon works best because they are easier to thread, though you can punch a bigger hole and use thicker ribbon if you wish. 
Photo: Mariama Poquiz

Photo: Mariama Poquiz
  • After you have drawn your design on your bookmark, take the Mod Podge one more time and brush a coat on either side of the bookmark and on the edges to seal the design and protect the pages. Putting Mod Podge lets you prolong the life of the bookmark because this way, the book pages do not tear and fray and the design does not get smudged. And if you've never used Mod Podge before as a sealant, don't worry: it goes on white, but dries clear and glossy. Just be careful if you are putting Mod Podge on colored pencils-apply very slowly, being careful not to smudge it. Honestly, I thank whoever invented Mod Podge because it is magical: both a glue and a sealant!

And voila! There you are, a handmade bookmark that you didn't spend any money on! I hope you enjoy your bookmarks and go on many book adventures!

Photo: Mariama Poquiz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Secret Bookshelf encourages friendly interaction between everyone so have fun but please do not be rude or offensive.

Spam and offensive comments against myself or anyone else will be deleted.

I make an effort to read and reply to every comment I receive so be sure to check back to read my replies by clicking the little "notify me" box!

Have fun and don't be shy! :)