Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire By: J.K. Rowling

source
  • Title: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter #4)
  • Author: J.K. Rowling
  • Publisher: Scholastic
  • Publication Date:  September 28, 2002 (2000)
  • Pages: 734
  • Genre: Fantasy
  • Recommended Age(s): 9+
  • First Read: 2006
  • Source: Gift
  • Rating: 5.0 / 5.0 stars
**Contains Spoilers!!!**

There's no other way to say this, but this book was a monster to read. And when I read it for the first time when I was eight years old, it took me a full nine days (which was a long time for little ol' me) to finish. But it was well worth it because this book was so action packed and full of excitement that every time I read it, I still can't believe the magical world that J.K. has provided for everyone. 

And I know I say this for every single one of the HP books, but this one is actually my favorite of all of them. It was this book that started my HP obsession after I got it for Christmas and it got to the point that I had to buy another copy of the paperback version because my very first version became so torn up. But torn up because of  all of my re-readings, so you could say I did it out of love. 

What's to love about this book above all the others? The question is, what's not to love about this book? There's quidditch-The Quidditch World Cup in fact-a whole new set of characters, an amazingly dangerous tournament, a beautiful ball, Hogwarts Castle, and of course Harry, Ron, and Hermoine. I loved this book because it was more mature than the previous three books, reflecting the fact that Harry and his friends are growing up. There are very real emotions-i.e. Ron's jealousy and Harry's crush on Cho Chang- that are handled in such a way that they enhance the plot rather than detract from it. 

I also think that this book had one of the biggest plot twists in the entire series. I mean who in the world could have guessed (because I surely didn't the first time I read it!) that Alastor Moody was not really, well, Alastor Moody? That was masterful that was, and some of the greatest magic J.K. Rowling did-concealing that so well!

My favorite scenes in the book had to be the Quidditch World Cup. One of my favorite characters will forever be Old Archie wearing a woman's night gown because that's what he thought all muggles wore. Oh, classic. I also got to see Wood again, if only for a short while, so that was fun. It was just the entire atmosphere of the World Cup that entranced me. Just like Harry, I had never given a thought to wizards from other countries before. It was fascinating. 

And let's be honest, one of the most memorable parts of this book was also the fact that for a very short time, Malfoy was a ferret. A pure white ferret.

source

Least favorite parts? What? I have nothing. 

Am I ever going to stop loving this book?

source
And man, the ending. Wow. Just wow. It was even more explosive than the ending of The Prisoner of Azkaban and someone practically changed their molecular composition to turn into something else into that book. After this book, nothing will ever be the same again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Secret Bookshelf encourages friendly interaction between everyone so have fun but please do not be rude or offensive.

Spam and offensive comments against myself or anyone else will be deleted.

I make an effort to read and reply to every comment I receive so be sure to check back to read my replies by clicking the little "notify me" box!

Have fun and don't be shy! :)