Friday, June 05, 2015

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban By: J.K. Rowling

source
  • Title: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3)
  • Author: J.K. Rowling
  • Publisher: Scholastic
  • Publication Date:  May 1, 2004 (1999) 
  • Pages: 435
  • Genre: Fantasy
  • Recommended Age(s): 9+
  • First Read: 2006
  • Source: Gift
  • Rating: 5.0 / 5.0 stars
**Contains Spoilers!!!**

Without a doubt, The Prisoner of Azkaban is a pivotal book in the series, with the introduction of several characters integral to the overall plot. It is also the one that starts off with quite a bang, especially because Harry finally ends up snapping and blowing up his aunt up like a balloon. Not to mention the fact that Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban to *supposedly* hunt down and kill Harry. 

I liked this book because it was able to keep the magic of the magical world going in a way that left you wanting to read the next book as soon as possible because it leaves off at a time where everything is changing. It also introduced me to even more of my favorite characters in the series: Lupin and Sirius, whose roles are indispensable as father figures to Harry. 

I also quite enjoyed the atmosphere surrounding the Quidditch Cup, especially Oliver Wood's manic, obsessive behavior in his quest to win the Cup in his last year of Hogwarts. Lee Jordan is also always highly entertaining and I'm going to miss him when he's gone. This sub plot gave a lighter air to the overall even darker plot. I mean for most of the book Harry believes that Sirius is trying to murder him so I welcomed the laughter and the sass. 

My favorite part was definitely when the confrontation between Harry, Lupin, and Sirius happened in the Shrieking Shack. Of course they did not meet under optimal circumstances, but the fact remains that Harry got to learn a little more about his family, especially his family. Rowling also introduced even more to the on-going theme of loyalty when Sirius said to Wormtail:
"You should have died! Died rather than betray your friends!" 
It just hits so deep, the brevity Lupin, Sirius, and James' friendship. And Harry, Hermoine, and Ron reflect that in their friendship too, exemplified when Ron, whose leg was broken, said,
"If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill us too!" 
Which is cliched, I know, but just hits me right in the heart, and reminds me why I love the series so much.

And shout out to Hermione to slapping Malfoy across the face because to quote the movie version, he was a "foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach." I totally understand where Hermoine came from in this book, snapping after all the pressure of her combined classes. I'm in the International Baccalaureate Programme and I sure wish I could have a time turner to help me out with all of my studies!

And speaking of time turners, I loved the idea, but having time turners available opens up so many plot holes in the story. But thank goodness, that issue is resolved in later books. The Marauder's Map, while one of my favorite magic items, also introduces plot holes. I've always wondered why Snape did not see two Harrys and two Hermiones on the Marauder's  Map when he checked it in Lupin's office because Harry and Hermione had gone back in time. So he should have seen a pair of them in the forest, hiding, and the other pair going into the tunnel. Any answers, J.K.? As for the plot hole where Fred and George never noticed Peter Pettigrew sleeping with Ron in the form of Scabbers, Rowling has said that Fred and George never would have looked to see where Ron was and would not have cared, instead looking at "the path their mischief took them that day." But other than my over analyzing, I loved the book, there's no question about that!

As for the movie version: some people say it was their favorite, some say it was the worst one out of the eight films. I quite liked the movie, to be honest, even though it deviated from the original plot just a little bit. I thought that the creative license Alfonso Cuarón put into the plot fit the movie perfectly, although it was a little disconcerting that Hagrid's hut and the Whomping Willow were transplanted to completely different locations. But the movie, like the book, was pivotal because it was significantly darker than the previous two movies. And from this movie on, there is sure a lot more gray and black to reflect the darkening times.

Overall, one of my favorites, but of course I say that to all of them!



2 comments:

  1. Ok so do not faint but....I have never read a Harry Potter book. I am so ashamed. It will happen very soon!
    Blue Books and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about it! It's never too late to start! Harry and his friends won't be going anywhere:) Once you start, let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Secret Bookshelf encourages friendly interaction between everyone so have fun but please do not be rude or offensive.

Spam and offensive comments against myself or anyone else will be deleted.

I make an effort to read and reply to every comment I receive so be sure to check back to read my replies by clicking the little "notify me" box!

Have fun and don't be shy! :)