Monday, July 13, 2015

The Lightning Thief By: Rick Riordan

source
  • Title: The Lightning Thief  (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1)
  • Author: Rick Riordan
  • Publisher: Disney Hyperion
  • Publication Date:  March 1,2006 (2005) 
  • Pages: 377
  • Genre: Fantasy
  • Recommended Age(s): 9+
  • First Read: 2008
  • Source: Purchase
  • Rating: 5.0 / 5.0 stars
This is one of those books that I regretted not picking up earlier because it has become one of my favorite book series. 

Percy is not what you'd call a model kid. He has ADHD, so he's not what you'd call quiet, and  he's been kicked out of schools in New York faster than his mother can find new ones for him. And there's the fact that strange things seem to happen around Percy...

I fell in love with book. I had never before read about a main character who has had the spunk of Percy. Percy's witty and sarcastic first person point of view is what really sold me with this book because the guy is so freaking sassy. Even in the most dire moments, when he's about to be, oh I don't know, be eaten by a monster, he's still mouthing off and it's just amazing.

I think I liked this series so much because it incorporated Greek mythology in a way that I had never experienced before. I was that kid who loved-and I still do-all the Greek myths so I pretty much memorized them all. So you can just imagine how happy I was when I finally picked this up. Not only were the characters in the ancient stories given new life, but the main characters-who are just regular kids themselves (well other than being demi-gods obviously) were so relatable. I could see a bit of myself in each of them and I think that's what I good book should do to a reader.

Riordan concocted the perfect mix, not only in this book, but in the entire series as well: Greek mythology, sassiness, adventure, and characters who you can't help and fall in love with. I just can't see why anyone would not like this.

As for me? If I had an Olympian parent (though I do love both my parents, don't get me wrong!) I would choose to be daughter of Athena, goddess of wisdom!

Who will you be, hero?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Secret Bookshelf encourages friendly interaction between everyone so have fun but please do not be rude or offensive.

Spam and offensive comments against myself or anyone else will be deleted.

I make an effort to read and reply to every comment I receive so be sure to check back to read my replies by clicking the little "notify me" box!

Have fun and don't be shy! :)