Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Distant Waves: A Novel of the Titanic By: Suzanne Weyn

source
  • Title: Distant Waves: A Novel of the Titanic
  • Author: Suzanne Weyn
  • Publisher: Scholastic Paperbacks
  • Publication Date:  May 1, 2011 (2009)
  • Pages: 336
  • Genre: Historical Fiction 
  • Recommended Age(s): 12+
  • First Read: 2015
  • Source: Library 
  • Rating:  2.5 / 5.0 stars
So I thought this was a novel about the Titanic. After all, on the front cover, it says "A Novel of the Titanic" and that's why I decided to pick it up. The novel centers around a family of spiritualists and I'm kind of confused as to what the central plot of the entire thing is.

The Titanic is not at the center of the book and I was actually very confused as to where the novel was supposed to go. There are so many characters who I felt were not doing anything to advance the plot, and I felt like the author was trying to name drop as many famous people as possible into the novel to prove that she had knowledge about the historical setting. I just didn't understand why Tesla had to be in the book. The novel would have been perfectly fine without him.

There were also so many conflicting themes going around, pretty irrelevant to what the book promised that it would be. If it did not advance the plot in any way, then I saw no reason for it to be included at all.

I was also just so confused about the pace of the climax and the absurdity of the ending. Everything went too fast, there was really no character development, and I just couldn't wrap my head around the ending, which was totally irrelevant to the entire thing.

What? Just what?

I've read many other historical novels about this famous disaster and I've enjoyed every single one of them, but this one disappointed me so much that I was kind of sad that I had to bump down its rating. This book should have gone done with the ship.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Secret Bookshelf encourages friendly interaction between everyone so have fun but please do not be rude or offensive.

Spam and offensive comments against myself or anyone else will be deleted.

I make an effort to read and reply to every comment I receive so be sure to check back to read my replies by clicking the little "notify me" box!

Have fun and don't be shy! :)