Friday, August 14, 2015

The Sea of Monsters By: Rick Riordan

source
  • Title: The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2)
  • Author: Rick Riordan
  • Publisher: Disney Hyperion
  • Publication Date:  April 1, 2007 (2006) 
  • Pages: 288
  • Genre: Fantasy
  • Recommended Age(s): 9+
  • First Read: 2008
  • Source: Purchase
  • Rating: 5.0 / 5.0 stars

Percy Jackson and his friends are not normal teenagers. For one, thirteen year old boys usually don't carry swords in their pockets that morph into pens. And it's definitely not normal to have a half-goat boy for a best friend and a Greek god for a dad. But that's the world Percy and his friends find themselves in, and they sure have a heck of a lot of adventures involving nothing short of *almost* certain death.

But it's all in a day's work, right?

Just like The Lightning Thief, this second installment in the Percy Jackson series is chock full of adventure and sassy comebacks that are sure to leave you with a smile, if not a groan exasperation. One of my favorite things about this book-and the series in general-is its ability to make even the direst of situations comical by slipping in an innocuous seeming comment that turns into the most hilarious thing in the entire book. I also like how Percy and his friends reach way outside of heir comfort zone-like in another country outside-in order to complete their quest. Sailing into monster infested waters isn't quite what many consider a *normal* day, if  you know what I'm saying! The fact that Rick Riordan also finds a way to weave a thousands of year old story into a kick-ass modern ale blows my mind. Maybe he should have been in that weaving test with Athena, and left Arachne in the dust. Ha. Get it?

*crickets*

Nobody? Ok.

And the word we're all looking for here is Anyway...

I don't think I have to say anymore. This book definitely exceeds my expectations and keeps the story going in such a way that I felt as if I didn't miss a single thing about the lives of any of the characters. Annabeth, Grover, and a few fresh faces are all here waiting for you, so be sure to pick this up, or Zeus might just smite you with his thunderbolt!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Secret Bookshelf encourages friendly interaction between everyone so have fun but please do not be rude or offensive.

Spam and offensive comments against myself or anyone else will be deleted.

I make an effort to read and reply to every comment I receive so be sure to check back to read my replies by clicking the little "notify me" box!

Have fun and don't be shy! :)